Hi lovely friends,
One of my New Year’s resolutions was to work less and enjoy life a little bit more. Even though being a grad student can sometimes feel like a 24/7 job, I decided that it wasn’t healthy for me to be constantly thinking about my job, so I’ve been making a conscious effort to go out and explore the city during the weekends. So, in this post, I’ve decided to take you into what I do on a normal NYC weekend. Please keep in mind that I’ve been living in NYC for the past six years and this is home to me, so this is my NY experience.
Below I list some things which I find stressless.
- Central Park: I live close by Central Park and I make it a habit to go there as often as possible. It is one of the few places in the city where I feel completely at peace. Now that spring is here and the weather is getting better, it is so nice to spend some time there. I recently have been making a habit of going to see the sunset while seeing on one of the tall rocks that are all over the park.
- Museums: I also live close by many of the museums on Fifth Avenue. I think that there is something therapeutic about museums. My favorites are the MoMA and the Whitney.
- Eating: Lately I’ve been into treating myself to delicious food. There are so many places in the city where you can find some amazing food. I’ve been drinking a lot of coffee lately, and one of my favorite places is Gregory’s. I’ve also been into Ramen lately and there is this place on the UES called Meijin Ramen that is hitting the spot. In terms of sweets, there is also a marshmallow bar that has opened up in UES. They have some pretty delicious sweets…the ice cream is really good.
- Shopping: Even though I am on a student budget, I do like to shop. I am currently into fashion and makeup, so I try to go out and about and shop. Currently I am loving Zara and Bloomingdale’s, but the photo below is from H&M.
- Taking long walks in this city: Sometimes I take walks for the sake of taking them. I find them very therapeutic. I was in the Times Square area a few days ago and I just decided to walk around. I sometimes forget that there is magic in this city. You can smell the air and feel the magic/ambition/go getter attitude that everyone here seems to have. This is very comforting to me because having lived here for quite a few years, I sometimes forget how fortunate I am to live here. It was always my dream to move to NY and, although, I don’t think I will stay here for the rest of my life, I do know that I love this city and above everything else this city has been my first love.
There are many more things that I like to do in the city, but this is what happens on weekends. I usually like my weekends to be laid back because the week can get pretty hectic. There are obviously more places I visit. If you’d like to hear more about what to do in NYC from a local’s perspective, let me know.