Even though I am very serious and “nerdy,” one of my passions is makeup. I didn’t really wear makeup when I was a teenager and I experimented very little with it in my early twenties. It wasn’t since beginning graduate school that I began to pay attention to my appearance (maybe NYC finally got to me by that time 😉 ).
This “obsession” began because I saw multiple YouTube tutorials on how to use everything correctly, which I believe was my biggest hurdle when it came to makeup. As you can deduce from the last sentence, I had no idea how to use most of these products prior to this. I must have been living under a rock before that 😉 .
My philosophy on wearing makeup is that you should wear whatever makes you happy. I have never fit into the standard of beauty that we often see portrayed in the media, but I’ve always felt good about the way I look. My face is not perfect, but I like the way I look with and without makeup. Makeup allows me to highlight certain features- like my lashes and eyes.
If you know me in person, you will notice that I am very “feminine.” Part of this comes from my belief that the way you portray yourself to the world is reflective of how you view yourself. This is something that has only come to me in the past few years. I’ve been doing science most of my life and I always valued my “smarts” way more than the way I looked. This came from the false belief (perhaps perpetuated by not encountering many really “feminine” women in basic science back then) that I did not want to bring attention to myself based on the way that I looked and that I wanted to be valued more for what I could contribute to my field. With time, I’ve realized that part of being a smart, educated woman is looking good. I like to look good everyday, mostly for myself, but also because it gives me a sense that I am going out into the world portraying myself in a positive light. Makeup helps me do this and makes me happy in the process 🙂 .
So, given my love for makeup, I am dedicating this post to my makeup favorites or must haves. Below I list the products I cannot live without (right now).
- Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Roller/concealer: I am going to be honest with all of you; I do not sleep enough. Therefore, when I wake up in the morning I usually have bags under my eyes. This concealer covers up those bags and reduces the puffiness around my eyes.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer: I don’t wear heavy foundation on a day to day basis, but I do like this tinted moisturizer. It moisturizes my face while evening out my skin tone. I have used this for years now and it is gentle enough not to break my face out.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz: Since my eyebrows need a little help, I fill them out with this brow pencil. It is the perfect shade, glides on very quickly and the spoolie on the other side helps to put my brows back in place.
- Tartelette Palette: I absolutely love this matte palette. When I first got it, I did not like it because I did not know how to use it. Multiple tries later, I’ve come to rely on this. The shades are matte and soft enough to go on my eyelid without making it look like I am wearing too much. I love “Force of nature” over my lid and some “best friend” or “power player” on the side to provide some depth.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in “Blissful”: I’ve had this blush for some time and I go through a period of loving it and then hating it. I love the color and how it looks on my skin tone. However, I don’t like how it is not pigmented enough. I need to get my brush in there and dab it more than a few times on my cheek to get the color I want on my cheeks. If it wasn’t for this, I would totally love it.
- Maybelline’s Lash Stiletto: I stumbled upon this mascara when I was looking for a new, inexpensive, and effective mascara to use. I fell in love with it upon first use. If you want longer lashes this is the mascara to use. It definitely makes my lashes look longer without making them look too bulky. I am a girl who prefers my lashes to look longer than bulkier, so this is the right mascara for me.
I am also trying out new makeup products as we speak. When I get a better sense for how well they work, I will update this and share with you all.